[jsr-314-open] JSR-314-OPEN archives and migration status

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 23:59:09 EST 2010

Max (and the JCP PMO),

Happy belated New Year! I'd like to pick up where we left of at the end of
last year with the JSR-314 mailinglist issues. I'm hopeful that we can make
swift progress now that we are well into 2010. I've retained our last
communication at the bottom of this message for reference.

The most pressing concern of the JSR-314 EG is that we get the archives for
the JSR-314-OPEN mailinglist restored. The archives stopped working in June
2009 and we have no archived messages since then:

http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A0=JSR-314-OPEN

This is *hindering* progress on the JSR because we cannot find or link to
unresolved discussions.

While on the one hand we have expressed an interest in migrating our
mailinglist over the the jcp.org software, we are in *desperate* need of a
short term fix that allows the EG and the community to have access to the
existing archives online. There is growing frustration amongst the EG over
the missing archives. It's also putting me in a bad position since I am not
upholding my promise to the group to find a solution. Even more troubling,
we are also breaking our promise of openness to the community.

Before anything else happens, we absolutely must find a way to get that
problem solved.

Looking ahead, here are the other points that we agreed on:

1. Import all JSR-314-OPEN messages into jsr-314-observers
2. Give the EG an opportunity to review the results of the import to ensure
that the results are acceptable
3. Make the jsr-314-observers archives (stored in the online board) open to
the public for read access
4. Clarify that the jsr-314-observers will function as a mailinglist
5. ...prepare for official migration

I'll also restate some lower-priority changes that I would like to see to
the jcp.org site:

1. Cut down (or otherwise document) the delay between the time a message is
sent to jsr-314-public at jcp.org to the time it appears in the board
2. Make the full list of public-facing boards available when the user first
visits http://wiki.jcp.org/boards/
3. Get rid of the wiki syntax in the boards as it will result in archives
messages being displayed improperly
4. Dark the text on jcp.org to at least #333333 (about 80% black). Most news
sites adhere to this convention for the vision impaired.

Please provide an update as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Dan, on behalf of the JSR-314 EG