[keycloak-dev] Working on the HTML for the Admin Console

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu Aug 29 14:44:36 EDT 2013

On 8/29/2013 2:25 PM, Gabriel Cardoso wrote:

>>> Instead of a dropdown, we have a list of elements you want to manage at
>>> the left side.
>>>

>> I still want a dropdown like the "Current Profile" box in the EAP admin
>> console to pick which realm you want.
> Why?

Because its simple easy one click? Rather than click, load a page, click
again?  Simpler, less clicks, less realestate.  Its an easy way of
navigating between the realms you have to manage while reducing the
amount of clutter on the page.

>>> In case of the application page, it would be nice to display somewhere
>>> which realm the application belongs.
>>>

>> I thought we'd agreed that Application is not something created
>> separately from Realm?  I think this would have an effect on your design
>> as there would be two less buttons at the top left corner.  There would
>> be no "Applications" or "Realms" buttons.
> Hadn't we agreed that, in case of the first application, Jared configure application AND realm options in the same page?
> How will people see the list of applications and realms without "Applications" and "Realms" at the top bar?

Having Applications and Realms on the top bar makes it seem like they
are separate things that can be created separately from one another.
This just isn't true.  Once you want to do Single Sign On (SSO) between
multiple applications, combining application and realm options on one
page just doesn't make sense at all.  I thought I made that clear.

I still prefer the "Wizard" idea for first time users that was vetoed
down.  I just don't understand Stian's dislike for this approach.
Wizards allow you to handhold users and explain each and every
configuration step.  Now that we can do thick clients again via
Javascript there's really no good reason for disliking multi-form
configuration.

As it is, working witih applications is going to be a rare thing.
You'll create them once and almost never touch them again.  Most work is
going to be around managing users (adding users and their mappings,
reseting credentials).

For social apps, there's a good chance they'll only interact with
keycloak only a few times when they are setting up their app and never
touch it again.