[keycloak-dev] Proposed changes to menu

Gabriel Cardoso gcardoso at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 14:41:00 EST 2014

Hi guys,

I guess the way the navigation is structured right now is a side effect of my original design proposal, where we had a top level of navigation with “Overview”, “Applications” and “Realms”. I probably just replaced the top nav by the dropdown and honestly I did not consider putting the sidebar at the top.

I consider Stian’s change interesting since it optimizes the vertical space and removes one level of navigation. Usability wise, it is hard to say, probably better for the firsts accesses but with no gain after a couple of usages (since the user will get familiar with the navigation).

I don't consider the removal of the breadcrumb something good since some people use it (Bill and I, at least) and it might reveal some level of navigation that is not displayed in the menu (e.g. My realm > Applications > My application > Roles). In this case, My application was not visible on the menus, so it helps the user to know where he is.

I know that we won’t do anything now, but I just wanted to express my point of view ;)

Gabriel