[keycloak-dev] offline access

Stian Thorgersen stian at redhat.com
Thu Apr 9 08:01:09 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

I don't think there's anything in OpenID Connect that ties a refresh token to a user session, that's just what we've done.

See http://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-core-1_0.html#OfflineAccess

> Also IMO it should be possible that user grants access to client for
> store offline tokens in account management, not just on consent screen
> after login.
>
> I think one of the important usecases for offline tokens would be long
> running non-web services (For example daemon service, which is running
> in background and doing periodic task on behalf of user once per day).
> Hence we should have possibility to grant offline tokens also to non-web
> applications (in other words, via Direct Access Grant). In this case,
> user might need to grant the access to the application in advance via
> Account mgmt.

Interesting idea. If offline access is just a role/scope we can do the same for any grants. That would let a user go into account management and grant a specific client access to any roles, which would make it possible to have an option for a client to require consent when using direct access as well.

But, thinking about it some more requiring consent for direct access is a bit pointless. For direct grant the user provides the client with the username/password so it would be very easy for a malicious client to circumvent requiring consent. For example by storing username/password in plain-text and use that to obtain tokens on behalf of other clients and/or login to account management or other apps directly.

It's implied that a user has to trust the client (and consents to giving the client full access) when providing the client with the username/password directly. That is unless we add an option where a user can create client specific passwords, in which case a user could limit what roles are permitted for a specific password.