[keycloak-dev] Sticky sessions in backchannel requests

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Fri May 19 06:21:40 EDT 2017

On 19 May 2017 at 10:54, Marek Posolda <mposolda at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 19/05/17 10:30, Stian Thorgersen wrote:
>
> Why do you need a separate route.id param? Wouldn't it just rely on the
> session_state being the same value as the authentication session cookie?
>
> Yes, that's also an option.
>

> The cookie approach with our adapters seems sensible option. Not sure
> about the approach of looking into the code/JWT as we can't rely on the
> load balancer implementation. There's loads of them out there and we need a
> solution that works regardless of the load balancer.
>
> I know we can't rely on used loadbalancer. However in some cases, people
> may start their environment from scratch. If we have optimized solution for
> some loadbalancers (wildfly/undertow based. Maybe nginx and HAProxy as
> those seem to be quite popular) it won't be bad?
>
> For example the development of undertow handler to be used together with
> Wildfly based mod_cluster loadbalancer won't be hard to do. Maybe the
> bigger challenge is testing and maintenance.

I doubt anyone will use undertow as a load balancer when they have multiple
DCs. Most likely it'll be whatever Amazon provides and there's probably
limited possibilities on how it's configured.

> One option if possible is on demand replication of sessions. A session
> lives in one DC until it's requested from another DC. That means if users
> use only apps that can be sticked to a DC either by cookie or some other
> mechanism (for example the app itself is replicated in all DCs) the session
> won't be replicated. If/when a user hits a third party app or another app
> that for some reason is directed to the other DC that session is fetched
> from the other DC and replicated afterwards.
>
> Yes, I sent something around that in another mail today on keycloak-dev.
> It seems to me that we may need asynchronous requests to not block undertow
> worker thread waiting for userSession to be fetched from the other DC?
>
> Also I wonder how bad it is to have option of userSession replicated
> directly between DCs through ASYNC channel? In other words, when
> userSession is created, it is replicated directly to other DCs by ASYNC
> way. It means that worker in the other DCs won't need to block so big time
> until userSession is fetched from the second DC and/or userSession may be
> already available there. But obviously there is price to pay that more
> communication will happen between DC, as it may result in replicating
> userSessions, which won't be needed in second DC at all.

Haven't had time to read that thread yet. Async replication is probably
fine as a starting point, but if you want to really scale things and in
situations when it's possible to route requests for a session to only one
DC it would scale better if we could have an option to replicate on demand.