[keycloak-dev] Sticky sessions in backchannel requests

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Fri May 19 07:46:29 EDT 2017

On 19/05/17 12:21, Stian Thorgersen wrote:

> On 19 May 2017 at 10:54, Marek Posolda <mposolda at redhat.com
> <mailto:mposolda at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 19/05/17 10:30, Stian Thorgersen wrote:
>>     Why do you need a separate route.id <http://route.id> param?
>>     Wouldn't it just rely on the session_state being the same value
>>     as the authentication session cookie?
>     Yes, that's also an option.
>>
>>     The cookie approach with our adapters seems sensible option. Not
>>     sure about the approach of looking into the code/JWT as we can't
>>     rely on the load balancer implementation. There's loads of them
>>     out there and we need a solution that works regardless of the
>>     load balancer.
>     I know we can't rely on used loadbalancer. However in some cases,
>     people may start their environment from scratch. If we have
>     optimized solution for some loadbalancers (wildfly/undertow based.
>     Maybe nginx and HAProxy as those seem to be quite popular) it
>     won't be bad?
>
>     For example the development of undertow handler to be used
>     together with Wildfly based mod_cluster loadbalancer won't be hard
>     to do. Maybe the bigger challenge is testing and maintenance.
>

> I doubt anyone will use undertow as a load balancer when they have
> multiple DCs. Most likely it'll be whatever Amazon provides and
> there's probably limited possibilities on how it's configured.
Ah true. I will try to look what may people typically use as deployment
scenarios with more DCs. Which environment, loadbalancers they use etc.
Not sure how much "user stories" are publicly available.

Still undertow and mod_cluster will be helpful even for classic cluster
without multiple DCs. If you can achieve sticky sessions for all
backchannel requests (even if you have 3rd party adapters), it's good
improvement for performance. But I won't treat it as big priority. Maybe
just if there is demand or time permits.

>>     One option if possible is on demand replication of sessions. A
>>     session lives in one DC until it's requested from another DC.
>>     That means if users use only apps that can be sticked to a DC
>>     either by cookie or some other mechanism (for example the app
>>     itself is replicated in all DCs) the session won't be replicated.
>>     If/when a user hits a third party app or another app that for
>>     some reason is directed to the other DC that session is fetched
>>     from the other DC and replicated afterwards.
>     Yes, I sent something around that in another mail today on
>     keycloak-dev. It seems to me that we may need asynchronous
>     requests to not block undertow worker thread waiting for
>     userSession to be fetched from the other DC?
>
>     Also I wonder how bad it is to have option of userSession
>     replicated directly between DCs through ASYNC channel? In other
>     words, when userSession is created, it is replicated directly to
>     other DCs by ASYNC way. It means that worker in the other DCs
>     won't need to block so big time until userSession is fetched from
>     the second DC and/or userSession may be already available there.
>     But obviously there is price to pay that more communication will
>     happen between DC, as it may result in replicating userSessions,
>     which won't be needed in second DC at all.
>

> Haven't had time to read that thread yet. Async replication is
> probably fine as a starting point, but if you want to really scale
> things and in situations when it's possible to route requests for a
> session to only one DC it would scale better if we could have an
> option to replicate on demand.
yep, with async by default, it will be more network communication for
sure. However throughput for user requests may be better due the fact
that they don't need to wait until session is fetched, as session may be
already available. But not sure, maybe performance tests will help with
this.

Marek