[keycloak-dev] Authenticating Desktop Applications with Keycloak and the keycloak-installed adapter

Lennart Jörelid lennart.jorelid at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 21:30:19 EST 2018

So ... I'm unclear about what would be the best way to

   1. Use a Native/JavaFX application with its own Login screen and within
   its own process. Bring up a browser is not the user experience I would want
   to force on the user.
   2. Use KeyCloak for authentication
   3. After authentication, use KeyCloak to communicate with a
   Bearer-token-secured RESTful backend service over HTTP/HTTPS or WebSockets

Is the better way to:

   1. Implement a local ServerSocket within the Native/JavaFX application
   to accept the KeyCloak Callback. This can be done with something like
   Undertow and a tiny handler, so not too complex. However ... I would like a
   code example showing how to convert the inbound HttpServletRequest (to the
   Undertow server on localhost) from the KeyCloak to the Keycloak
   AccessToken. Presumably, one would need to decorate each JaxRS Client call
   to the restful webservice (using Bearer token access) with the KeyCloak
   Access token as well. Since the JaxRS 2.x Client is the de-facto standard
   from the current JavaEE distribution, it would be good to see an example of
   how to tailor a ... KeyCloak JaxRS Client request filter, maybe?

I realize, from the example and the codebase, that 99% of the use cases
here are Web/JavaScript clients and maybe Smartphone apps, but it would be
really nice to have an example holding the scenario above, since it is
basically the way to make native applications or JavaFX clients integrate
properly (i.e. not sprouting a browser, which yields an inferior user
experience) with services protected by KeyCloak. Fair?