[keycloak-dev] Keycloak Error : "User with user name XXXX already exists. How do you want to continue"

Kalidindi, Sai Soma Kala sai-soma-kala.kalidindi at microfocus.com
Wed Sep 19 14:44:00 EDT 2018

Hi,

We are using 1.9.8 version of keycloak. We have few customers,  who has integrated their identity providers like ADFS, OKTA, Ldap ...with our Key cloak and it works. Lately we are seeing this below error message after their successful initial login, this happens to couple of users once in two weeks or so . When they try to login they see the error "User with user name XXXX already exists. How do you want to continue". Initially it used to happens once in few months, at that time,  I would go to user_entity table in keycloak and delete the entry with this username and then when user try to log in, it works and entry gets re-created . This is our fix for now, every time any user hits above error, I delete the entry form user_entity tabel.

Lately it has been happening once in few days, and we are trying to find permanent fix for this. I would like to understand why this is happening after a series of successful logins by the same user .  We are using old version of keycloak, does upgrading to latest version solve this issue? Any recommendation or help on above error is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sai.