[keycloak-dev] Application Initiated Actions Draft #2

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Mon Apr 1 14:44:07 EDT 2019

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019, 18:54 Pedro Igor Silva, <psilva at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Stian,
>
> A few additional comments:
>
> * "or alternatively the application can include an id_token_hint with the
> request that proves the application does not need consent from the user"
>
> I understand that ID Tokens should be short-lived, but aren't we setting
> the exp of ID tokens with the value from access tokens? See
> org.keycloak.protocol.oidc.TokenManager.AccessTokenResponseBuilder#generateIDToken.

On my phone so can't look at that. ID tokens have some expiration as access
tokens surely?

> In addition to that, I don't think that using a front-channel to pass
> tokens is something we want to do given that there are a lot of
> considerations around this approach. If we are really going this way, I
> think we should at least consider some form of proof-of-possession.

I'm not 100% convinced about id_token_hint either, but OIDC spec already
uses id_token_hint several places. It's in the auth endpoint already (not
something we're adding) also used in logout specs. I also struggle to see
how it can be missused even if obtained.

Proof of possession is a nice idea, but not sure how that could be done
without storing additional things at the server side.

> For last, maybe you should explicitly mention the usage of TLS?

I do believe that is already implied? Oauth/OIDC/tokens are completely
insecure without TLS.