[keycloak-dev] Allow registering only with email and password

Cliff MAURY cliff.maury at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 07:44:39 EDT 2019

Hello,

We use Keycloak with my team since more than 6 months for our client to
rebuild the authentication process that was previously done with in-house
OAuth2 custom development... :(
Hopefully, Keyckoak is a great product and we thank alls contributors for
their work 👍

I would to like to have feedback about some propositions before doing the
associated pull requests (as mentionned in the contributors guide).

When we enable "User registration" parameter in Login panel of the Realm,
we can access to the built-in registration page of Keycloak.
But we need to the specify the first name and the last name : these 2 fiels
are mandatory...

In our business needs, we wanted only a registration form with email (as
username) and password like many others websites/applications.
So we overrided the registration template with only email and
password fields, but validation failed because RegistrationProfile::validate
checks for first name and last name parameters.

So I would like to submit a proposition : When "User registration" is set,
another options could be displayed "Add first name and last name" (for
instance) disabled by default.
So the default registration page would require only email and password
fields (this could cover many use cases of users registration) and when
needed, the first name and last name could be filled and validated when the
associated realm parameter is set.

In addition, to go further, the "Email as username" parameter could be set
to true, in order to have a registration page with
email/password/confirmation password fields out of the box.

What do you think about it ?

Regards,

Cliff Maury