[keycloak-user] Create user from keycloak UI with FreeIPA backend

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Mon Dec 5 08:39:14 EST 2016

On 2016-12-05, Marek Posolda wrote:
> Yeah, that's my experience too. I've did the Keycloak integration with
> FreeIPA through LDAP FederationProvider a long time ago with the docker
> image [1] .
>
> The update of simple attributes of existing users worked (eg. If I
> updated firstName of the user "john" in Keycloak, it was propagated
> through the LDAP FederationProvider to the FreeIPA LDAP and was updated
> correctly).
>
> However registration of new users from Keycloak doesn't work . I assumed
> the SSSD interface will be able to register new users from Keycloak as well?

I don't think so. SSSD interface is read-only and the addition of a
registration interface is unlikely to happen on SSSD.

Today to manage or change users, unfortunatelly all you can do
is to go through IPA interface. There's a mention to ipa help
permission, but I haven't tried yet.

> Marek
>
> [1] https://github.com/mposolda/keycloak-freeipa-docker
>
> On 04/12/16 19:58, Marc Boorshtein wrote:
> >> Their LDAP front-end doesn't support writes?
> >
> > FreeIPA doesn't have an "LDAP front-end", it relies on the 389 directory to
> > store its objects.  For the most part you can use the LDAP interface for
> > reads but for writes different rules apply because a single "user" can be
> > comprised of multiple objects across the DIT.  As an example, if you create
> > a user via LDAP you can probably authenticate via LDAP but you won't be
> > able to via kerberose.  Also, if you provision an sshkey via LDAP it won't
> > work.
> >
> > The only way to reliably create users and add users to groups is through
> > the FreeIPA web services, for supported attributes.  Not all attributes can
> > be provisioned via the webservices.  Only if its visible in the webui.
> > Otherwise you need to provision via LDAP.  So as an example, carLicense can
> > be provisioned via the web services but I think roomNumber or
> > departmentNumber (I'd need to double check) are NOT supported unless you
> > extend the webui (there's a way to do it if you google it).

abstractj
PGP: 0x84DC9914