[keycloak-user] Not using keycloak in development

Thomas Raehalme thomas.raehalme at aitiofinland.com
Tue Mar 15 11:19:12 EDT 2016

On Mar 15, 2016 16:57, "Martijn Claus" <m.claus at smile.nl> wrote:
> I’ve been setting up Keycloak and liking it thus far. We are using it in
an angular / Spring / REST context. For development there are cases where I
don’t want to run the Keycloak application (war) but only my own
application. I assume this is a valid usecase. But if I turn the Keycloak
off, the angular frontend will redirect me to an offline url and the
application fails. I will not have a token and the backend will rightfully
throw back some AccessDeniedExceptions. Is there a way to use some kind of
(magic/permanent/development) token that will be accepted by the backend
and the Keycloak application will never have to be contacted? Or is there
some other feature that my backend spring keycloak adapter will accept
anything and work with a default user?

I'm not sure what you suspect is possible, but here's what we do:

In development mode we use Keycloak configuration which connects to a
shared Keycloak instance where we have configured a specific realm and
client allowing the use of localhost as redirect URL. This works for every
developer and we don't need to "turn off" authentication.

The downside is that you need to be online. If this is a problem you could
always use Vagrant or Docker to run Keycloak on localhost. But I guess you
were trying to avoid this.

In production we naturally use another Keycloak configuration which we can
enable through Spring profiles or Tomcat context.xml or whatever method
best fits the situation.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Thomas