[keycloak-user] How to export Keycloak Data with second instance? Or should i use db tools?

konphite at mailbox.org konphite at mailbox.org
Thu Aug 1 15:28:41 EDT 2019

Hello together,

iam relative new to keycloak. Iam reading the documentation of keycloak about import/export data. The documentation looks a little bit short to me and, honestly, it confused me why there are only few questions about this in the www.

I hope some more experienced user can help me, because i think its a standard problem:

I want to backup my keycloak Data. Whats the right way? Backup the data over the standalone.sh, or backup the whole postgredb via db tools? In my feeling, the import/export keycloak function over standalone.sh looks not like a real backup option, more like a "migration-tool" to migrate the data from one database to another. Am i wrong?

If i using the standalone.sh, how i can backup my data while my instance is running? I cant stop they keycloak server in production for daily backups. I read in the mailing list, that is possible to run "a second instance" of Jboss on the same server, when i start the standalone.sh with other port binding (i.e : with -Djboss.socket.binding.port-offset=). But iam wondering: How can i stop this instance after the backup is done? Is this really best practice?

Iam thanksfull for any help

best regards

Konphite