[keycloak-user] Policy Enforcing for nodejs REST Api

Pedro Igor Silva psilva at redhat.com
Tue Jun 4 08:06:30 EDT 2019

Differently than other adapters, the NodeJS adapter does not fetch
resources from the server, so you need to use the enforcer on each route:

app.get('/api/users', keycloak.enforcer(['users'])
app.get('/api/devices', keycloak.enforcer(['devices'])

Please, create an RFE if you the current behavior is not enough for you.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 5:23 AM Lasse Jahn <lasse.jahn at student.hpi.de> wrote:

> [...]
>>> access to the api, but of course don't need the keycloak admin access.
>>> So I enabled the service account for my backend client and gave this one
>>> the realm-admin role so the client has access to everything and I can
>>> handle the authorization inside the backend client it self (using policies,
>>> permissions, .. inside the admin-console).
>>> (Just in case no one gets what I'm talking about. Fixing [1] should help
>>> me fixing my issue I guess)
>>>
>>> Setup
>>> - node.js application using express
>>> - registered as single client in keycloak admin-console (confidential,
>>> but config inside the code is bearer-only)
>>> - Keycloak is running in a docker-container (version 4.5)
>>> - all services are running in a docker-compose network and are behind a
>>> reverse proxy for common uri
>>> - enabled Authorization in client and changed the default policy to
>>> Negative to always deny => to see if it is enforced)
>>>
>>> My Problem
>>> I don't understand how to use the policies, permissions and Co I created
>>> in the admin-console inside the backend it self. How do I enforce that
>>> these are used?
>>> I tried to check different examples and documentation, but could get it
>>> working.
>>> The last thing I found was that the entitlement api was removed, but a
>>> policy-enforcer was added to the nodejs adapter. In the documentation for
>>> the policy-enforcer [2] I couldn't find a documentation of the middleware
>>> (keycloak.enforcer({}) [3][4]).
>>>
>>> My Code
>>>
>>> *****
>>> app.js
>>>
>>> const express = require('express');
>>> const app = express();
>>> const Keycloak = require('keycloak-connect');
>>> const session = require('express-session');
>>> const routes = require('./routes/index');
>>>

>>> const kcConfig = {
>>>     'realm': 'master',
>>>     'bearer-only': true,
>>>     'auth-server-url': `https://DOMAIN/auth<https://domain/auth>`,
>>>     'ssl-required': 'all',
>>>     'resource': 'fm-backend',
>>>     'credentials': {
>>>         secret: 'SOME_SECRET',
>>>     },
>>>     'confidential-port': 0,
>>>     'policy-enforcer': {                                //tried with an
>>> without this, changed nothing
>>>         'enforcement-mode': 'ENFORCING',
>>>     },
>>> };
>>>
>>> const memoryStore = new session.MemoryStore();
>>> const keycloak = new Keycloak({ memoryStore }, kcConfig);
>>>
>>> app.use(keycloak.middleware({ logout: '/api/logout', protected:
>>> '/api/gates' }));
>>>
>>> // used before, worked for well for authentication
>>> app.use('/api', keycloak.protect(), routes);
>>>
>>> // now unfortunately I don't understand how to use keycloak.enforcer()
>>> middleware
>>> app.use('/api', keycloak.enforcer({WHAT_COMES_HERE}), routes);

>>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53722033/how-to-enable-policy-enforcing-in-keycloak-for-node-js-application
>>> [2]
>>> https://keycloak-docs.github.io/deploy-docs/dev/master/authorization_services/index.html#_enforcer_overview
>>> [3]