[Repost] Bayeux4Netty performance problem

Luís M. Costa luis.m.costa at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 10:20:22 EDT 2009

NOTE: This is a repost motivated by Trustin Lee message
(http://n2.nabble.com/Mailing-list-forum-delivery-problem-tp3610822ef685743.html).
If you have already received this message, I'm sorry for the repost.
---------------------------------
  Hi,

  I have been trying Bayeux4Netty and I'm facing poor message throughput.
  Here is the summary description of my application, a messaging system
bridge to Bayeux clients on top of Bayeux4Netty:
   - When a Bayeux client subscribes to a channel, that registration is
forward to the messaging system;
   - Messages published to a channel are published to the corresponding
Topic;
   - Messages published to a Topic are forward to the corresponding channel.

  Now the test scenario:
    - Clients of the messaging system are producing a total of 25 messages
per second (with approximately  20 bytes, each) to the same topic
(/topic/foo)
    - The corresponding channel has 15 subscribed clients (browsers)

  This makes a total of 375 messages per second being encoded through
Bayeux4Netty to its JavaScript clients. If the number of messages being
produced is increased bytes start to accumulate in the receiver buffer,
meaning that the Bayeux encoding is unable to cope with this small message
production frequency...

  Any thoughts on this?

  Thanks,
     Luís M. Costa