[Repost] Bayeux4Netty performance problem

Dai Jun guiwuu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 11:49:36 EDT 2009

Hi Luís M. Costa,

2009/9/9 Luís M. Costa <luis.m.costa at gmail.com>:

> NOTE: This is a repost motivated by Trustin Lee message
> (http://n2.nabble.com/Mailing-list-forum-delivery-problem-tp3610822ef685743.html).
> If you have already received this message, I'm sorry for the repost.
> ---------------------------------
>  Hi,
>
>  I have been trying Bayeux4Netty and I'm facing poor message throughput.
>  Here is the summary description of my application, a messaging system
> bridge to Bayeux clients on top of Bayeux4Netty:
>   - When a Bayeux client subscribes to a channel, that registration is
> forward to the messaging system;
>   - Messages published to a channel are published to the corresponding
> Topic;
>   - Messages published to a Topic are forward to the corresponding channel.
>
>  Now the test scenario:
>    - Clients of the messaging system are producing a total of 25 messages
> per second (with approximately  20 bytes, each) to the same topic
> (/topic/foo)
>    - The corresponding channel has 15 subscribed clients (browsers)
>
>  This makes a total of 375 messages per second being encoded through
> Bayeux4Netty to its JavaScript clients. If the number of messages being
> produced is increased bytes start to accumulate in the receiver buffer,
> meaning that the Bayeux encoding is unable to cope with this small message
> production frequency...

Thanks very much for your report. I will investigate it right now and
response ASAP. There are something about environment to confirm. Would
you tell me whether clients and server run in the same host? And what
browser are you using? Do you remember the CPU usage when testing? By
saying "the receiver buffer", do you mean the upstream queue of
BayeuxConnection? Thanks a lot.