server ExecutionHandler question

miarkus miarkus at tlen.pl
Sun Jan 25 16:48:12 EST 2009

Hi again!

Since I consider myself as java newbie I do have some questions about
ExecutionHandler on server side. Business logic handler of my server
connects to mysql making few queries so I'm assigning
OrderedMemoryAwareThreadPoolExecutor to prevent blocking business action
true?

1) I assume that each channelhandler which queries mysql will use such
executor right?
2) Some channelhandlers won't be querying mysql - does this mean that they
won't be using executors thread pools?
3) Let's say I'm setting OrderedMemoryAwareThreadPoolExecutor's corePoolSize
to 16. If concurrently let's say 20 channelhandlers would like to query
mysql - will 4 operations be waiting in queue to be performed in executors
threadpool until those 16 will be completed?
4) Does server-side ExecutionHandlers require some extra maintenance like
shutting down after completing operation etc? OR is adding ExecutionHandler
(on server side) to pipeline enough so the rest is handled by Netty? I'm
asking because in one of previous threads I read about shutting down
executors.