Newbie Questions!

César Fernando Henriques cesar at alttab.com.ar
Thu May 21 15:44:12 EDT 2009

Hi Guys,

I'm working on a project and I need to decide what framework to use,
Netty, MINA or Grizzle... I have the following scenario:

1) A Proxy Server or Gateway running in internet that allow mobile
phones to access resources and services on PC/Servers behind
firewall/nat

2) A Daemon Agent running on the PC or Server that connect to the
Gateway (outbound connections only) and wait for messages from the
gateway signaling that someone need data, to make it simple, the
Daemon create another paralel connection to the Gatreway for every new
user wanting to connect to the daemon (mmm I don't think this is a
good approach, I read somewherer that http 1.1 encourage to not open
more than 2 connections from the same client I can make N connections
depending on the number of users actives on the Daemon).

3) A mobile phone that make http get/post request to the gateway to
access the daemon resources.

II have been playing with mina a couple of days, and really like the
approach for managing protocol and messages, the problem is that the
APIs to manage http protocol seems to be not supported or dead.. I
mean there is a couple of classes like HttpMessage, HttpRequest,
HttpResponse but loking at the code don't seems to be following a good
pattern.. I don't know.. I don't liked what I see there... ;-)

 I have been playing with Grizzle another couple of days... I really
like what I see in relations of managing the http protocol, sessions,
etc...the simple GrizzleWebServer and the possibilitie of scale to
glassfish in case I need load balancer, clustering, etc. but was very
dificult to get a simple example using comet up and running, and I
don't see very clear how to start building a robust solutions with
Grizzle (IT's very big and complex!!!!)

So I end up looking at Netty, I have download the sources and running
some testing with HttpServer and HttpClient, I really liked!!!

I need to make a choice, could you guys help to decide what framework
is the best suitable for my requeriments (Please let the feelings
aside ;-) ).

I really like the idea of Grizzle running on top of GlassFish... and
likes Netty simple Api.... wuaaaa!!!!! I don't know what do to!!!!!

Another couple of requeriments to take in mind, I need compression
filter, SSL, and a custom protocol on top of HTTP, Should be great to
have a chain to encode decode messages on top of HttpRequest and
HttpResponse, something like AutheticationRequest,
AuthenticationResponse, ProvisioningRequest, etc.

The Messages Data, (aka custom http body) must be encrypted, so online
the Daemon and the mobile could decrypt, I'm planning on J-PAKE or
DiffieHellman key exchange.

I hope you guys can help to decide what framework fit better for my project.

Best Regards,

Cesar.-