To use or not to use netty?

Enno Shioji eshioji at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 05:46:36 EST 2010

Hi rzo,

> This contribution implements asynchronous hessian2 rpc on top of netty.
This is the first time I heard about hessian rpc. Sounds excellent! We
are currently using base64/XML to ship a lot of binaries (1-30kb) :(

> With continuations you do not need to maintain a thread per call. All
> calls are queued
> and you may decide how many threads should handle the calls.
This was actually one of the reason I found netty attractive. I
thought of letting worker server maintain a permanent connection with
our app. and let the worker server "post" their own availability,
which will then be handled by our threads (which as you said, we can
determine how many there should be!), which will ship the jobs to
them. I was thinking of implementing my own, but so I might be able to
use your patch? Sounds very cool :) Will definitely give a look.

> You can
> also receive just one call and send
> multiple replies. This is useful when you for example need an event
> based update of a gui table.
Hmm... Actually, this could be useful in our app., too...

I guess I gotta read up on hessian and your patch to fully understand
their capabilities though.
Thanks for the kind suggestion :) I'll stay tuned on your update!

Regards,
Enno