To use or not to use netty?

fatbatman james at joyplay.com
Mon Jan 11 04:19:13 EST 2010

Hi Ron,

I'm new to Netty & Hessian but have a fair amount of experience with other
RPC frameworks.  I need to move away from using JBossRemoting 2.5 for our
multiplayer games as I need nio so we can handle more connections.  I'm
considering using your Hessian patch.  I've got two questions

1. I need to modify your example so I can access the Session id within an
RPC call using a thread local.  Something like;

public String HelloWorld(String i) {
  String hessianSessionId = SessionIdManager.threadLocal.get();
  return "hello world serviceName" + serviceName + " " + count++;// + "
"+i+result;
}

How/where is the best place to set/remove the thread local in the pipeline?

2.  I also need to create a callback mechanism for sending server->client
messages (most likely a second connection).  I guess the continuation
example is a starting point but do you have any other thoughts on this.

regards

James