Fwd: Patch update: netty-242

fatbatman james at joyplay.com
Wed Jan 13 16:21:13 EST 2010

Hi Ron,

We need an Http mechanism just because there a few users behind firewalls
that don't allow outgoing raw TCP connections, but admittedly they're not
many.
Async RPC can be done over Http by pulling messages from the server using
http 1.1 keep alive long polling, JBoss remoting 2.x does this but because
it's not nio it requires 1 thread per server -> client callback connection.
I believe JBoss remoting 3 will be nio but I'm not sure when this is
expected to be available.

You're probably right though, the Hessian servlet on JBossWeb or Tomcat may
be better for what we need.  They have the
com.caucho.servlet.comet.GenericCometServlet which I believe provides the
http callback stuff on nio and BAM API.

I'm going to play around some more, thanks for your thoughts

best wishes

James