Will Netty solve the problems i had with a similar nio implementation

lastaid callmesascha at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 08:55:34 EDT 2010

Hey,

at first, thank you guys for providing this framework. I've been working on
a quite similar project for 6 month now, but hace recently discovered new
bugs that are more and more beyond my ability to comprehend/fix.

I started writing a Server - Multi Client application in Java using NIO
because i want keepalive connections and i dont want to either poll [
performance ] or timeout [ latency and its just a workaround ].
Java.NIO provided this for me but now i have mayor 2 problems:

First of all, NAT Routers dont seem to work with my protocol, furthermore,
it doesn't even seem to be TCP/IP anymore. had to do all the packet
stichting myself [ because of MTU fragmentation ]. Apparently the problem
doesn't let the server resolve the individual clients if they connect from a
network that is behind a nat router. It handles the 2 clients behind the nat
router as one. mostly crashes because both are trying to DiffiHellman and
are reporting broken keys.

Will the [ right ] usage of Netty work with NAT routers in the way described
above?

The way i build the protocol makes things like announcing something via a
broadcast to all clients very painful. Had a lot of bugs b/c of my
implementation and thing it would be nicer/cleaner to have a tidy solution
for this.

Will Netty allow sending broadcasts to multiple clients ? [ Especially with
encryption enabled ]

The most importent feature for me is the ability to manage mediocre numbers
of _encryted_ connections individually and globally [ eg. broadcast ].
Protocoll is byte based and the parsed into objects.

I want Netty to replace my low level transmission layer. the one that
handles encryption, crc checking, stichting and the stuff you usually expect
from tcp/ip.

please answer, the netty project seems quite promising, but i'm confronted
with a deadline and its probably gonna take some time to rewrite the
transmission layer