Netty close the channel internally without any exception

王福强 fujohnwang at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 10:18:20 EDT 2010

the exceptionCaught() doesn't print out any exception information,
and it seems that the channel is closed 'normally'.

we have 16*2 channels running in a same vm, each channel will blocked until
close is requested externally, the after each channel connected, I write
such code to wait until the channel is closed externally:
            while (running) {
                try {
                    if (future.getChannel().getCloseFuture()
                            .await(Integer.MAX_VALUE, TimeUnit.SECONDS)) {
                        logger.info("working channel:'{}' has been closed
internally.",
                                future.getChannel());
                        logger.info(
                                "working channel internal close reason:{}",

ExceptionUtils.getFullStackTrace(future.getChannel()
                                        .getCloseFuture().getCause()));
                        break;
                    }

                } catch (InterruptedException e) {
                    logger.info("ErosaWorkingChannelRunnable is interrupted,
"
                            + "we will break the loop and end it.");
                    Thread.currentThread().interrupt();
                    break;
                }
            }

        } finally {
            if (channel != null) {

channel.close().awaitUninterruptibly().addListener(ChannelFutureListener.CLOSE);
            }
        }

It seems that the channel just close internally without any information, is
there any way I can debug on this?
(maybe too many threads reside in one VM? when we split different channels
to different vm instances, the problem seems fixed, I really can't figure
out why)