Encoder for binary protocol

netty20101117 david90900 at mailinator.com
Fri Nov 26 11:38:06 EST 2010

Hi all,
Here is an update on progress.
After some consultation with Bruno de Carvalho he suggested I switch to
using ReplayingDecoder instead of FrameDecoder and use the bootstrap option
“tcpNoDelay”. Also my client implementation was not flooding the tcp
connection so he gave some tips on that as well.

For some details on how this was implemented see:
http://d.pr/SLYr

Echoing the incoming pdu's back to the sender gives a throughput of about
28k msgs per second on a very old laptop & about 50k per sec on an HP Inter
core due 3.16GHz. That includes decoding the PDU body as well.

Response message is just header plus approx another 20 bytes, so will add a
response encoder/decoder later but that should also boost performance :)

Anyway, would like to take this opportunity to thank Bruno for some prompt &
useful help
Thanks
David