[resteasy-dev] RESTEasy and possible "community" contribution

Rostislav Svoboda rsvoboda at redhat.com
Wed May 4 08:02:48 EDT 2016

Moving the discussion to the mailing list ++ adding few notes about the project structure and TS.

Structure:
 - why is there one module jaxrs in the root of repo - https://github.com/resteasy/Resteasy ?
 - there are too many modules (in root jaxrs module) from my perspective
   -- multi module project structure can affect build time
   -- find . | grep pom.xml | wc -l reports 226 pom.xml files
   -- find . | grep pom.xml | grep -v arquillian | grep -v exam | grep -v test | wc -l reports 58 pom.xml files
 - not clear where is the real code and what is just add-odd like examples, book stuff
 - naming of modules in not in sync, some are starting resteasy-*, some do not have such prefix

Commits:
 - commit messages do not follow same/similar format - see https://github.com/resteasy/Resteasy/commits/master
   -- I would expect jira id at the beginning of the commit message, it's there sometime but in different format - e.g. RESTEASY-1328 vs. [RESTEASY-1331]
 - massive commit message like https://github.com/resteasy/Resteasy/commit/fdd1f9f31edb894fa6f8684f2608224c39519e6c
 - commit related to RESTEASY-1323 are really "fun"
   -- https://github.com/resteasy/Resteasy/pull/756/files
   -- one fix in code (4 lines removed) + two tests done in 7 commits :(
   -- these commits should have been squashed

Versions:
 - will leave this to Tomaz :)

TS:
 - unit tests are mixed with integration tests
   -- integration tests should be in separate module
   -- tests should be running in different maven phases
 - there are only few tests against WF
 - such tests are not executed against latest WF, but mainly against WF 8
 - I would like to see ARQ + WF10+ and get rid of tjws

EAP 7 situation for TS:
 - we migrated upstream ts to use ARQ and run against EAP 7 and not tjws
 - we discovered half of reported issues thanks to this migrated TS, these issues wouldn't be noticed bu community TS executed against tjws
   -- 19 from 38 jiras - https://issues.jboss.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20JBEAP%20AND%20issuetype%20%3D%20Bug%20AND%20resolution%20in%20%28Unresolved%2C%20Done%2C%20%22Out%20of%20Date%22%29%20AND%20component%20%3D%20REST
 - we will keep this TS for 7.0.z
 - we would like to consume & prod-patch upstream (ARQ + WF based) TS for the future releases

Upstream and QE specific TS should somehow converge into a single one.

My feeling is that (upstream) TS should be a bit isolated from the rest to make it easier for QE to test against products - like EAP.
Something similar what is in JBWS and maybe even beyond - no dependency on parent to have deps clearly defined.
For JBWS we consume upstream ts, patch it little bit + use prod based dependencies.

Cheers.
Rostislav