[resteasy-dev] RESTEasy and possible "community" contribution

Weinan Li weli at redhat.com
Wed May 4 11:36:42 EDT 2016

--
Weinan Li / JBoss

> On May 4, 2016, at 8:02 PM, Rostislav Svoboda <rsvoboda at redhat.com> wrote:

> Structure:
> - why is there one module jaxrs in the root of repo - https://github.com/resteasy/Resteasy ?

It's added by Bill but I forget the reason. I don't like it either :-) We can remove it now as JAX-RS is moved outside RESTEasy repo.

> - there are too many modules (in root jaxrs module) from my perspective
>   -- multi module project structure can affect build time
>   -- find . | grep pom.xml | wc -l reports 226 pom.xml files
The 'example' module contains all the Bill's book examples. We need to ask him for permission to move these away.

>   -- find . | grep pom.xml | grep -v arquillian | grep -v exam | grep -v test | wc -l reports 58 pom.xml files
> - not clear where is the real code and what is just add-odd like examples, book stuff
> - naming of modules in not in sync, some are starting resteasy-*, some do not have such prefix
>
> Commits:
> - commit messages do not follow same/similar format - see https://github.com/resteasy/Resteasy/commits/master
>   -- I would expect jira id at the beginning of the commit message, it's there sometime but in different format - e.g. RESTEASY-1328 vs. [RESTEASY-1331]
> - massive commit message like https://github.com/resteasy/Resteasy/commit/fdd1f9f31edb894fa6f8684f2608224c39519e6c
> - commit related to RESTEASY-1323 are really "fun"
>   -- https://github.com/resteasy/Resteasy/pull/756/files
>   -- one fix in code (4 lines removed) + two tests done in 7 commits :(
>   -- these commits should have been squashed
+1

> Versions:
> - will leave this to Tomaz :)
>
> TS:
> - unit tests are mixed with integration tests
>   -- integration tests should be in separate module
>   -- tests should be running in different maven phases
> - there are only few tests against WF
> - such tests are not executed against latest WF, but mainly against WF 8
> - I would like to see ARQ + WF10+ and get rid of tjws
Get ridding of TJWS is not practical because it will make the test time unacceptable. But replacing them with undertow container would be great :-)

> EAP 7 situation for TS:
> - we migrated upstream ts to use ARQ and run against EAP 7 and not tjws

> - we discovered half of reported issues thanks to this migrated TS, these issues wouldn't be noticed bu community TS executed against tjws
Totally removing TJWS is also not possible, because many users are using this 'internal' feature in their production env. We can't estimate how the impact will be.

We can try to remove TJWS for testing purposes in RESTEasy project itself. But the RESTEasy TJWS module should be maintained as a feature.

>   -- 19 from 38 jiras - https://issues.jboss.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20JBEAP%20AND%20issuetype%20%3D%20Bug%20AND%20resolution%20in%20%28Unresolved%2C%20Done%2C%20%22Out%20of%20Date%22%29%20AND%20component%20%3D%20REST
> - we will keep this TS for 7.0.z
> - we would like to consume & prod-patch upstream (ARQ + WF based) TS for the future releases
>
> Upstream and QE specific TS should somehow converge into a single one.
+1