[rules-dev] Using Smart GWT library in Guvnor

Michael Neale michael.neale at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:31:25 EST 2010

I don't think it would be a good idea unless migrating to SmartGWT overall -
it would just drag on a whole other heavy framework.

Longer term it would be nice to NOT depend on any JS frameworks- but use GWT
native ones - the reason being that only the used bits are compiled in, and
also as GWT compiler innovations continue apace, that insures compatability
and speed improvements.

I don't really see the need to use a JS library like SmartGWT - the only
place we used GWT-ext was for the overall "chrome" look - (eg the accordion,
tabs) and a few grid views, and a couple of trees, barely 10% of what is in
the ext framework.

I certainly think it is a very bad idea to use a framework like smart GWT
now for widgets - the built in GWT ones are pretty basic, but it is worth
the effort to compose them into richer ones, or look for GWT "native" ones
to reuse - as at least they will be resolved at compile time. Some GWT ones
to take a look at: http://vaadin.com/home and
http://code.google.com/p/gwt-mosaic/

(not that I have anything against javascript, just it makes things much
harder with GWT, and kind of defeats the purpose of using it).

Of course we would like to get off gwt-ext eventually, I don't think
SmartGWT is the way to go, and certainly not introducing it unless we plan
to migrate to it.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:46 AM, Esteban Aliverti <esteban.aliverti at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Baunax and I are making some improvements in Guvnor's rule editor
> (from/collect/accumulate support, expression builder widget, etc.) and we
> want to start using Smart GWT (http://www.smartclient.com/). This library
> is the successor of GWText (the one Guvnor is using now). You can see this
> in GWText home page http://code.google.com/p/gwt-ext/.
> Some of the reasons we have to move to Smart GWT are:
>
>    - GWTExt is deprecated. It is no longer under active development.
>    - Smart GWT is under LGPL license (just like GWTExt)
>    - Smart GWT support any version of GWT (from 1.5.3 to 2.0). There
>    shouldn't be any problem when we start using GWT 2.xx
>    - Smart GWT has a lot of widgets, effects, layouts etc. that can make
>    our life easier ;).
>
> Of course we are not going to migrate Guvnor to Smart GWT; we want just to
> use it for the new features we are implementing.
>
> So, are you guys agree? Does anyone have any objection?
>
> We are currently working on guvnor_expressionEditor3_baunax_esteban branch.
>
> Best,
>
> --
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
> Esteban Aliverti

Michael D Neale
home: www.michaelneale.net
blog: michaelneale.blogspot.com