[rules-dev] Drools Flow in EJBs

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Mon Nov 1 14:21:42 EDT 2010

On 01/11/2010 15:31, tizo wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 5:21 PM, tizo <tizone at gmail.com
> <mailto:tizone at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi there,
>
>     I have seen in chapter 6 of the documentation, that Drools Flow
>     can be configured to use JPA and transactions to persist the
>     running states. However, I am in a EJB where I obtain entity
>     managers with a @PersistenceContext annotation, and the
>     transactions are managed by the container, whereas in the example
>     an EntityManagerFactory and a TransactionManager are used.
>
>     Could I configure Flow in a direct way to be used by my EJB?
>
>     Thanks very much,
>
>     tizo
>

> Ok, looking at the code, I guess that Drools flow is not ready to work
> with standards EJBs. The reasons are the following:
>
>  * The JPA annotations are not standard JPA annotations, but hibernate
> ones. For example "CollectionOfElements" in ProcessInstanceInfo class.
That was the one element we couldn't find a replacement for in JPA1,
JPA2 fixes this, but we haven't updated to JPA2 yet. I don't believe we
use any other hibernate specific annotations.
>  * Transactions are managed by Drools, as opposed to some EJBs where
> transactions are managed by the container.
You can use both JTA transactions and local entity transactions. So
transactions can be drools maintained or container/external maintained.