[rules-dev] Drools Flow in EJBs

tizo tizone at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 15:05:27 EDT 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Mark Proctor <mproctor at codehaus.org> wrote:

>  On 01/11/2010 15:31, tizo wrote:
>
>   On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 5:21 PM, tizo <tizone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have seen in chapter 6 of the documentation, that Drools Flow can be
>> configured to use JPA and transactions to persist the running states.
>> However, I am in a EJB where I obtain entity managers with a
>> @PersistenceContext annotation, and the transactions are managed by the
>> container, whereas in the example an EntityManagerFactory and a
>> TransactionManager are used.
>>
>> Could I configure Flow in a direct way to be used by my EJB?
>>
>> Thanks very much,
>>
>> tizo
>>

>  Ok, looking at the code, I guess that Drools flow is not ready to work
> with standards EJBs. The reasons are the following:
>
>  * The JPA annotations are not standard JPA annotations, but hibernate
> ones. For example "CollectionOfElements" in ProcessInstanceInfo class.
>
> That was the one element we couldn't find a replacement for in JPA1, JPA2
> fixes this, but we haven't updated to JPA2 yet. I don't believe we use any
> other hibernate specific annotations.
>
>   * Transactions are managed by Drools, as opposed to some EJBs where
> transactions are managed by the container.
>
> You can use both JTA transactions and local entity transactions. So
> transactions can be drools maintained or container/external maintained.
>

> As for that, I will probably modify the codes, so Flow could be used in our
> EJBs. I would like to know if someone could guide me on what should I
> modify.
>
> I will post the modifications in case they are of interest to someone.
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> tizo
>
> Mark,

Thanks for your response. Could you tell me how can I use Drools with my
container managed transactions, or where can I read how to do that?. I think
that the example given in the documentation (Drools Flow, 6.1.4 -
Transactions) does not apply to this case, and I can't figure out how to do
it.

Thanks again,

tizo