[rules-dev] [feature-proposal] Execution Environment Governance Via A Push Model

Justin Holmes justinmichaelholmes at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 17:30:49 EDT 2013

Hello Devs,

I'm currently working on a project that employs Drools/jBPM 5.x. We author
knowledge assets in Guvnor and then use a KnowledgeAgent to pull down
compiled kpackages. This is an enterprise project, so we have about 6
different environments that the kpackages need to be promoted to over time.
However, we've had issues with promoting assets via the polling/pull model
that is implemented in the KnowledgeAgent, as sometimes packages will be
pulled accidentally due to user error. I know the 6.x project moves to
KieContainer/KieServices using Maven, but my reading of the code suggests
that this is still a polling model against the Guvnor Repository. To me, it
seems that polling does not provide sufficient governance of the execution
environment, and that one would need to "push" a specific version of an
KBase into a specific environment, without a redeployment, to achieve the
proper level of control.

So here is my line of questioning...

1) Am I correct that there is no feature in the project today that allows
an end user to "push" a KPackage into an environment?
2) If the feature doesn't exist, would the team be interested in adding it
the project? I'm imagining that the feature would need to include both a
Guvnor server side component as well as client side component which exposes
some sort of service endpoint.
3) If its a feature you guys are interested in, how can we begin the
conversation to build it?

- Justin