[rules-users] Custom EvaluatorFactory

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Thu Dec 20 11:04:56 EST 2007

Andy Mei wrote:
> Hi Edson,
>
> This is exactly what I am looking for, thanks!
>
> One comment, is it possible to expand on list of operators Drools
> support?  Better yet, make it plugable just like EvaluatorDefinition.
Not yet, this is something we want, but our current approach to using
antlr has limited our flexability there. We would need to rewrite the
grammar, using an antlr-tree parser, then we should be able to have user
definable list of operators.

> Correct me if I am wrong, but here are list of operators Drools support:
>
> http://anonsvn.labs.jboss.com/labs/jbossrules/trunk/drools-core/src/main/java/org/drools/base/evaluators/Operator.java
> <http://anonsvn.labs.jboss.com/labs/jbossrules/trunk/drools-core/src/main/java/org/drools/base/evaluators/Operator.java>
>
> Would it be possible if I could add additional operators like '+',
> '-', '/', '%'... to any objects.  For example, I would love to allow
> users to write syntax below, where user could subtract 3 days from the
> current day.
>
>   $p : Position ( settlementDate < ( $TODAY - '3D' ) )
what you are using there is a return value constraint, to the engine its
effectively a black box, and is evaluated by the chosen dialect; mvel or
java. So if you want ot be able to do that type of arithmetic, work with
the MVEL author to make sure its incuded in his engine.

> I love the project, keep up the good work.  I am negotiating with
> management to purchase support contract from Redhat.
great :)