[rules-users] Running Drools on Sun Portal Server 7

Tom Finlayson tom.finlayson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 07:11:38 EDT 2007

Folks,

I'm having an issue running Drools 3.0.5 on Sun Portal Server 7. When our
rules are loaded and compiled, they come back as being invalid. Debugging
reveals this is because the consequence is null. As such, addRule in
AbstractRuleBase throws the following exception:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The rule called Test Rule is not valid.
Check for compile errors reported.

This is very similar to a previously reported issue however all our rules
work fine under Eclipse when running JUnit. Additionally they have been
successfully run when deployed as a servlet to Sun Application Server 8.1.
This suggests the problem is due to classloading issues in the Portal
environment.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or can suggest a fix?

Cheers,

Tom Finlayson