[rules-users] Question on HonestPolitician Example

Joe Kutner jpkutner at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 23:29:59 EDT 2007

Hello,

I have a question regarding the execution of the HonestPolitician example.
Why does the "Hope is Dead" rule get fired?  I understand that an activation
for that rule will be included in the agenda during the first pass (i.e.
when no Hope object exists in working memory).  But shouldn't that
activation be removed once the "We have an honest Politician" rule is fired
(and thus a Hope object is asserted to working memory)?

The output I get when running the example is:

Hurrah!!! Democracy Lives
I'm an evil corporation and I have corrupted schroder
I'm an evil corporation and I have corrupted chirac
I'm an evil corporation and I have corrupted bush
I'm an evil corporation and I have corrupted blair
We are all Doomed!!! Democracy is Dead

Maybe this question is more directed rule-engines in general.  Should all
rule-engines have the same output when given the exact same rule-set?  Or is
there a subjectivity to how a particular rule-engine processes the agenda?

Thank you,