[rules-users] Question on HonestPolitician Example

Michael Neale michael.neale at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 19:31:45 EDT 2007

Hi Joe.

Actually that example is showing off truth maintenance and logical
assertions.

That rule should not be fired if Hope was a normal "stated" assertion, but
it is not, it is a logical assertion (ie it depends on the truth that
supported it). In that example the "truth" that it is based on is that an
HonestPolitician exists (at least one). Once the last honest politician is
gone, then Hope will be automatically gone ( no need to retract it by hand).

If you want to learn more about truth maintenance - take a look in the
manual, its got some flow charts and descriptions of other examples etc that
go into much more detail, but the above is it in a nutshell.

Michael.