[rules-users] field binding performance implications

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Wed Mar 21 19:16:34 EDT 2007

   Vlad,

   Looking at the macro steps, when you load and run rules in the
engine, that is what happens:

* PARSING: a parser, will parse whatever syntax you are using into an
AST tree. The objects that compound that tree are the descriptors I'm
talking about.
* BUILDING: a rule builder will transform your descriptors (AST Tree)
into the internal rules representation, doing all the code generation
and compiling it into binary form.
* RETE-BUILDING: a ReteOO builder will get your compiled rules
representation and transform into a Rete network, making it ready for
execution

    So, basically, descriptors are the result of the parsing. If you are
generating rules, better to skip the parsing phase and generate
descriptors directly. Also, we aim to have full round-trip between
supported semantics. That means that from the descriptors, you can
generate DRL, XML, CLP, or whatever syntax you have a dumper for.

    Having said all that, you can find the descriptors in the package:
org.drools.lang.descr in the drools-compiler project. Documentation is
not good (any volunteers? :)), but they are pretty simple to use, so you
will have no problems understanding them. Also, if you don't know how to
represent something using descriptors, it is easy to find out. Just
write a DRL that does what you want to know how and use the package
builder to get the descriptors for you to see:

        DrlParser parser = new DrlParser();
        final PackageDescr pkgDescr = parser.parse( new
InputStreamReader( getClass().getResourceAsStream( "test_rules.drl" ) ) );

   Hope it helps.

   []s
   Edson