[rules-users] multiprocessor and performance

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Thu Nov 8 07:09:22 EST 2007

   Mario,

   Each working memory executes single threaded and as such will use only
one processor. As long as you have each of your requests creating a working
memory (ideally from a shared pre-loaded/pre-compiled rulebase) and
executing in a separate thread, it should be using all your processors. What
I mean is, drools does not constrain/limit processor use... can you double
check that you have the requests running concurrently, each on its own
thread, or provide us a test case so that we can verify if there is any
problem in drools causing this behavior?

   Thanks,
       Edson

2007/11/8, Mario <send_lotsa_spam_here at yahoo.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got a fairly simple web application with DRools 4.0.3 deployed on a
> Tomcat
> 5.5, where I'm running a stress test of about 100 users doing fact changes
> every
> half a second. There are about 20 rules and about 20 facts. Each action
> loads
> and compiles the rule base, creates a new working memory and creates the
> facts
> inside it. I know it's not efficient (rules should be loaded only once in
> the
> application, working memory should be created only once in the session)
> but
> that's not my question.
> This is a 4-way machine.
> 1. if I don't load and use drools, the web application uses all 4
> processors
> 2. if drools does the above mentioned work, only ONE processor is used, at
> about
> 100% CPU.
> Does it make sense that way? Do I have to set anything so the other
> processors
> are used as well?
>
> Otherwise, I'd have a general performance question: is it more efficient
> empty the WM (one fact at a time) each time many facts need to be
> reloaded, or
> just drop it and create it again? I'm talking about some 200 facts, and a
> few
> hundred rules.
>
> Thanks a lot,

  Edson Tirelli