[rules-users] Arbitrary problem using OR?

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Wed Sep 19 10:48:11 EDT 2007

   If you are using version 4.0.1, there should be no limit in the
complexity of the condition, using any of the available CEs. And your
understanding is correct when you say the engine automagically breaks the
rules into multiple subrules when you use OR CE.
   As we speak, there is no known problem in the use of this functionality
in 4.0.1.

   Can you please provide an example of the problems you are finding?

   Thanks,
     Edson

2007/9/19, wasabifan <bryan.rickman at kewill.com>:

> In getting our business rules written, we used a lot of domain experts to
> help write our rules.  I now have the exciting job of verifying and fixing
> these rules as needed.  When possible, I had asked that they use OR
> statements in a single rule, as opposed to breaking them out into multiple
> rules for brefity and ease of maintenance.
>
> However, in trying to get these rules to function, I find myself time and
> time again having to break OR logic  into multiple rules to get it to work
> (the || internal to objects seems to work okay).  I have tried both prefix
> and infix OR.  Is there some limit to the complexity of when OR will or
> will
> not work?  I have tried using parenthesis to make the logic very explicit,
> but often breaking it into multiple rules seems to be the only remedy.
>
> Is there some principle to go by, or is this a matter of trial and error
> when rules must be broken into multiple rules in the DRL?  My
> understanding
> was that the OR CE basically would be broken into multiple rules
> automagically, which is what I end up doing manually in the DRL.  Have you
> heard of any problems with this functionality?

  Edson Tirelli
  Office: +55 11 3529-6000
  Mobile: +55 11 9287-5646