[rules-users] Agenda group doesn't stay set?

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Mon Apr 28 15:13:30 EDT 2008

Bagwell, Allen F wrote:

> I'm writing rules in different agenda groups and witnessing something
> curious.
>
> Right now when I put my fireAllRules() in a callback that is triggered
> every couple of seconds I have to do this:
>
> Callback executes on receipt of a heartbeat message:
> {
>    session.setFocus("my_agenda");
>    session.fireAllRules();
> }
>
> What I would prefer to do is this is set my agenda group external to
> the callback so I have the liberty to simply use the callback to
> execute rules on whatever agenda I give focus to elsewhere:
>
> Callback executes on receipt of a heartbeat message:
> {
>    session.fireAllRules();
> }
>
> But this doesn't work.
>
> My understanding is that unless you explicitly set the agenda-group
> each time, then fireAllRules() resets your agenda group to "MAIN"?
No not quite. It's a stack. when you setFocus, you are assigning that
group to the top of the stack. when you call fireAllRules() it iterates
through that stack, firing all the rules in the top one, popping it,
firing all the rules in the next group until it reaches MAIN (which is
always at the bottom of the stack) and returns when that is empty.