[rules-users] Performance issues with using RuleFlow with StatelessSession

Amit Mhatre ajmhatre at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 00:15:18 EDT 2008

Hi,
 this might either be a java-users questions or a drools-users, but I'd like
to try here to see if somebody has any suggestions for me.

 I have observed that the ruleFlow that I am using gets slower and slower
since its initial deployment. It initially started taking like 30mins to
evaluate all the rules, but the run-time goes up to about 4hours in about 4
days.

 I am using a statelessSession. I do a RuleBaseFactory().newRuleBase() and
ruleBase.newStatelessSession() each time I begin an evaluation (I evaluate
about 50k objects, once a day). I have the ruleBase as a private instance in
an EvaluationHandler which does other evaluations as well and is a singleton
which is obtained from a factory.

 Has anyone else too on this forum faced this issue? I found this archive,
but no reply to it:
http://www.nabble.com/Performance-Question-with-Stateless-Session-to14704425.html#a14704425

 Could it be that a new ruleBase is being created each time I do an
evaluation (it obviously is), but a reference to the old ruleBase still
hangs around (and hence the entire WorkingMemory)? I checked the RuleBase
apis and I couldn't find anything that could help me clear the workingMemory
once I am done with evaluating all the rules.

 Would be great if somebody could ched some light into this issue that I am
facing and/or let me know the path I must follow to find the root-cause of
the slowing down of the evaluations.

 Thanks,
- am