[rules-users] Composition of Fact Templates

Stephen Kestle stephen.kestle at orionhealth.com
Mon Aug 11 20:33:55 EDT 2008

I'm trying to make some fact templates in the form of

template "Address"
    String line1
    String line2
end

template "Person"
    String name
    int age
    Address address
end

It complains that it is "Unable to resolve class "Address""

   1. Is there any way around this - am I just getting syntax wrong?
   2. Is this being fixed in 5.0 or > 4.0.7 (which I have)
   3. Am I able to modify the class loader to grab the FactTemplate
      class types and infer the correct object? e.g. is this something
      that's ridiculously hard, and so hasn't already been included?
   4. Am I going about this entirely the wrong way?
         1. Are nested types at all useful in the rules?
         2. Is it possible to even have a rule like:
            p: Person( age == 5, Address(line1 == "My address))
            ? (given a java object schema)
         3. Should I be using variables and other rules to assert facts?
         4. Off topic: Is rules composition achieved by the assertion of
            facts for other rules to use?

What I want to do:
I am dealing with (xml) schemas and ontologies, and need to be able to
create Fact Templates from these definitions.  While I can do this
easily enough in java side, I believe I need to create the templates to
match my java objects so that the rules can be compiled.

Thanks heaps

Stephen