[rules-users] one question about Transitive Closure

Senlin Liang senlin.liang at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 14:47:11 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Like the previous posts from Paul Fodor, we want to compute the
transitive closure of the following rules:

<code>
    tc(X, Y) :- par(X, Y).
    tc(X, Y) :- par(X, Z), tc(Z, Y).
</code>

We implemented it using Drools, and put them online at:
http://www.lmc.cs.sunysb.edu/~tests/drools_sliang/

Our question is that: is this implementation one of the most efficient
ones (in terms of computation time and memory usage)?

I run the tests and gave me "OutOfMemory" problems, while a similar
one can be easily tested in Jena. (Jena is another Java based
inference engine.)

Any idea will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Senlin Liang