[rules-users] Measuring Drools Memory Usage

Ingomar Otter iotter at mac.com
Tue Jul 29 04:02:56 EDT 2008

We used two approaches to double check results.
At first we used an approach similiar to what you haved described.
Please note that (depneding on platfom) freeMemory is not byte-
exact). Wo you won't see little changes.
Also, if you were using stateless sessions the result you have seen
may be correct.

Out other approach was to seriazie that parts we're instrested in (and
assume that real memory usage is just an small factor to be applied to
the result we go.
We then compared the two results and they agreed on the order of
magnitude which was what were looking for.
However we were primarily looking at Rulebase sizes, not WM memory
consumption - which for the application we are currently are working
on is neglegctible.

 >Has anyone attempted to measure the incremental memory usage of using
 >Drools
Do you expect an incremental memory usage (aka memory leak) using
Drools? I don't  ;-)
You may want to run your use-case let's say 100.000 times to easiert
to measure results.

--I