[rules-users] Introduction to my project

Michael Rhoden mrhoden at franklinamerican.com
Mon Nov 17 00:15:34 EST 2008

I think a rules engine could do what you are asking, but you have to ask the right questions of it. What any rules engine can do is allow you to declare "rules" and then you reason using those rules. Once you setup your rules, I would guess you would want to "guess" if a plant can go in a bed, near, X other plants and see if you broke the rules. If you are looking for the "best" solution you make want to read this blog on drools solver ( http://blog.athico.com/search/label/solver ). If you just want to see if your plant can go in a certain place you simple brute force the check. Assuming you don't have huge amounts of data, and plants you can try all possible solutions and you wouldnt have to use anything as fancy as solver.

So the question you need to answer is do you want a constraint engine (aka drools), "can i put x plant here", or a solver type engine that you ask, "where do i put all my plants". Hopefully that helps you a bit.

-Michael