[rules-users] Introduction to my project

Ellen Zhao enzhao at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 02:49:39 EST 2008

Hi Ari,

just read your problem description and I guess optimizing the solution
with some evolutionary / genetic algorithms would be better off than
using Rete-based algorithms. You can have a look at the Drools-Solver
documentation.

You can implement the algorithm as some service provider and put them
in session beans. If your project is not a "legacy" project, try out
JEE 5 compliant application servers. Wiring a bunch of JEE 5 session
beans is easier than wiring the same amount of J2EE session beans.

Best Regards,
Ellen

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Ari Fainchtein <ari at lechido.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I would appreciate the opportunity to get your feedback.  The question I
> have is "Is a Rule Engine the best solution to my problem or do i have to
> write a custom algorithm?"
>
> What follows is a one paragraph background and then the actual problem.
>
> I live in a farm 90km north of Melbourne.  My farm is my PhD project, which
> i call the Suburban Micro Farm.  The idea is to grow food in the farm and
> have a commercial kitchen (in the farm) to prepare take away meals which
> will  be sold in downtown Melbourne.  I am writing a J2EE compliant web
> based application to control the operation of the farm/delivery service.
>  THe farm will  be certified organic and is not connected to the grid.  All
> of my intellectual property is opens source under the idea of Open Source
> Franchising.
>
> The problem at hand is as follow.
>
> In my vegetable garden, I have planting beds of different sizes.  i will
> plant seedlings in those beds.  i have all the data for how long should the
> seeds be in the seedling trays before transplanting to beds.  I have the
> data for how far apart should be placed and how long should they be in the
> ground.  I also have data as which ones should be placed next to which
> others and which should not be planted together.  How should the seedlings
> be placed in the beds assuming that we also need to take into account a
> rotation of beds across seasons? The rotation will be created using rules as
> "if bed 1 had tomatoes then next season plant beans".
>
> This is a typical problem I need to solve.  Like the problem described
> above, I have many more in different parts of the supply chain.  Should I
> use a rules engine or should i write custom algorithms?
>

> Thanks

(Ellen) Ning Zhao
Software Engineer
HaCon Ingenieurgesellschaft mbH