[rules-users] Templates Documented as Experimental from Community, not from Red Hat

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 02:00:57 EDT 2009

2009/8/5 Mark Proctor <mproctor at codehaus.org>

>  Ken Archer wrote:
>
> The jboss.org documentation describes rule templates as " an experimental
> feature. In particular, the API is subject to change".  However, the Red
> Hat documentation does not caveat rule templates as "experimental" in any
> way.  Are templates (which are available in other BRMSs) no longer
> considered "experimental"?  Thanks so much.
>
> No they are experimental still. I'm waiting for the community author, or
> someone else in the community to, to work on them and mature them more.
> Adding other tabular data sources, such as a database and proving the
> current approach is flexible enough. We haven't had any feedback on this
> yet,  I don't even know if people are using it, so it's hard for us to guage
> the maturity of it.

First thing I missed in the pre-5.0 stage was a general interface for
feeding the template expansion with arbitrary Bean-style objects or property
maps; so this is now in there. I'm about to use this feature, to sell people
here at this company the concept that rules, and Drools in particular, is
well suited for a certain application area.

If interested users (yes, you, Ken) formulate and pronounce their
requirements beyond making the IF stable, I'd be willing to look into it.

> So until the community steps up more, even if it's just suggestions on
> what's needed to get this matured, it will stay "experimental" - some better
> documentation wouldn't go amiss either :)

And if people (yes, you, Mark) would not only ominously hint at what needs
to be added to Expert sections 5.1.7 and 5.2, then I'd also consider writing
a few paragraphs.

Cheers
Wolfgang

Mark