[rules-users] Drools library - updating Drools jar

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Thu Aug 20 09:44:11 EDT 2009

   I am no Eclipse expert, but:

"The correct way" (TM): checkout the source code, change the pom.xml to use
the correct MVEL version, rebuild the plugin and re-install. When we release
the next version, just update it.

"The easy way" (TM): add the new mvel jar to your eclipse project classpath
and move it up to be before the drools library in the eclipse project
classpath order. You will have both in the classpath, but being first in the
classpath order will make eclipse use it.

   You must use 2.0.12 or 2.0.14-SNAPSHOT. When I tested 2.0.13 there was a
regression, if I remember correctly.

   []s
   Edson

2009/8/20 KDR <dr.soprano at neverbox.com>

> Thanks to Edson and André for the very interesting discussion on maps in
> Drools. :) I suspect my follow up question got a bit buried in that thread
> and probably is a separate topic anyway, so I hope you don't mind my asking
> this newbie question in a new thread.
>
> All Drools projects created in Eclipse with the Drools plugin have a Drools
> library associated with them, which shows up as a Drools Library entry on
> the left in both project/package explorer, and in the project properties
> for
> the project - in the Libraries tab for the project properties' Java Build
> Path.
>
> My question is, how do you get Eclipse to recognise an updated jar in the
> Drools library please? Or perhaps it should be, how do you get Drools to
> recognise an update to a jar which it uses?
>
> Edson said in the other thread that I need to update my mvel jar to 2.0.12.
> I can only find 2.0.13 but no doubt that's also got the maps bugfix.
>
> However where I'm stuck is how get the Drools projects to use the updated
> jar. I've copied the 2.0.13 jar to the Drools runtime folder on my computer
> (both top level and subfolder). I've tried to add the 2.0.13 jar to the
> Java
> build path for the project as an external jar. I've tried to create a fresh
> Drools project in Eclipse. I've restarted Eclipse with -clean. The map
> issue
> is still there, and the Drools library for the Drools projects still don't
> even show 2.0.13 in the list of jars - just 2.0.10. I'm sure the crux of it
> is that somewhere Drools has been told to use 2.0.10, and I don't know how
> to tell it otherwise.
>
> I'm sure it's a really easy thing to do if you know how, but I've tried
> everything I can think of and am totally at a loss as to what to try next.
> (Probably try to rename 2.0.13 to 2.0.10, delete or rename the old 2.0.10
> and restart Eclipse?).
>
> Would some kind person be able to point me in the right direction please?
> I'm trying to think of a workaround for my project that doesn't use maps,
> but ideally maps would be the best way. I'm willing to offer a box of
> chocolates or a bottle of wine or beer whatever your poison of choice, if
> blatant bribes will help! :D
>
> Many thanks. Any suggestions at all would be most appreciated.

 Edson Tirelli
 JBoss Drools Core Development
 JBoss by Red Hat @ www.jboss.com