[rules-users] human tasks example with 5.0

Garrett Conaty garrett at conaty.net
Sat Jan 3 18:32:33 EST 2009

Can anyone point me to some solid examples for mixing processes with
human interaction?  I've been trawling through the codebase and it
looks like drools is geared to support all kinds of different process
mappings (jpdl, ruleflow, bpel, etc.) on the core engine.  Looks very
cool and potentially powerful, but I'm trying to get my head around
how to use it with non-dev users.

It seems the design philosophy is to model the domain as Java objects
then define rules and flows that use these objects.  Trouble is I
can't see the interface points to create a UI (rich client or
whatever) to have a human user take required actions for various
processes.  This could be as simple as 'get task and data blob', do
something to it, and post it back (correlating the process ID).

For point of reference, I was quite familiar with how Weblogic
Integration managed processes and human tasks, and also have checked
into Singleshot (nice idea, but looks incomplete).  At the moment
using something like Bonita appears to be the best bet, but with some
docs/examples/configuration drools could fit the bill.

Then of course I'm hoping there's the infrastructure in place to
activate/passivate the processes (memory to disk) on requests/

thanks in advance,
Garrett