[rules-users] human tasks example with 5.0

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Sat Jan 3 20:29:44 EST 2009

Garett,

There are three areas. The backend task engine is fully working, and so
is the "work item" for tooling integration in authoring the human task
request. However the web tooling to view tasks is almost non-existent
at the moment and the eclipse tooling to show and interact with tasks is
limited. This will be our main area of focus for 5.1.
http://anonsvn.labs.jboss.com/labs/jbossrules/trunk/drools-process/drools-process-task/
http://anonsvn.labs.jboss.com/labs/jbossrules/trunk/drools-eclipse/org.drools.eclipse.task/

A HumanTask in Drools is a work item, there is a little bit in the
documentation on how this works:
https://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/job/drools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/trunk/target/docs/drools-flow/html_single/index.html

Kris will hopefully be back on monday and be able to give you more
specific answers to your questions.

Mark

Garrett Conaty wrote:
> Can anyone point me to some solid examples for mixing processes with
> human interaction?  I've been trawling through the codebase and it
> looks like drools is geared to support all kinds of different process
> mappings (jpdl, ruleflow, bpel, etc.) on the core engine.  Looks very
> cool and potentially powerful, but I'm trying to get my head around
> how to use it with non-dev users.
>
> It seems the design philosophy is to model the domain as Java objects
> then define rules and flows that use these objects.  Trouble is I
> can't see the interface points to create a UI (rich client or
> whatever) to have a human user take required actions for various
> processes.  This could be as simple as 'get task and data blob', do
> something to it, and post it back (correlating the process ID).
It is, take a look at the unit tests for the task management:
http://anonsvn.labs.jboss.com/labs/jbossrules/trunk/drools-process/drools-process-task/src/test/java/org/drools/task/service/TaskLifeCycleTest.java
http://anonsvn.labs.jboss.com/labs/jbossrules/trunk/drools-process/drools-process-task/src/test/java/org/drools/task/service/TaskServiceCommentsAndAttachmentsTest.java

The tooling will improve for this for 5.1.

> For point of reference, I was quite familiar with how Weblogic
> Integration managed processes and human tasks, and also have checked
> into Singleshot (nice idea, but looks incomplete).
Singleshot is not an open source backend, where as our is. Our Task
backend is an implementation of WS-HumanTask, although we have used mina
for communication rather than WS.
> At the moment using something like Bonita appears to be the best bet,
> but with some docs/examples/configuration drools could fit the bill.
We have a lot there, much is under the covers, it's going to take
another 3 months to mature this with the necessary tooling. Howeverour
scope is way beyond Bonita, which like jBPM is a limited process engine.
Neither has any real rule integration  or event processing, nor do they
offer a unified approach to this.

> Then of course I'm hoping there's the infrastructure in place to
> activate/passivate the processes (memory to disk) on
> requests/responses from the human users
processes can be persisted, is that what you mean?