[rules-users] Problems in Guvnor 5.0M4 with imported 4.0.7 repositories that use ruleflows

Shahad Ahmed shahad.ahmed2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 06:10:02 EST 2009

Does anyone know if there is a way of specifying that the Guvnor 5.0M4
should migrate ruleflows from version 4.0 to 5.0 when importing a version
4.0 repository into the Guvnor, or is this bug/oversight in the Guvnor?

I'm trying to import a drools 4.0.7 repository into Guvnor 5.0M4 – the
repository was originally exported out of a drools 4.0.7 BRMS (i.e. in XML
format). However, when I try and build a package containing a ruleflow in
the imported repository it fails, but the same repository builds under the
drools 4.0.7 BRMS. Packages without ruleflows build okay, so it looks as if
the failure has to do with the ruleflows in packages.

I know that drools 4 ruleflows are not compatible with drools 5 ruleflows,
and that there's a drools property that allows the compiler to automatically
migrate ruleflows from 4.0 to 5.0. I had assumed the Guvnor applies this
migration as I see the following in the log when I import the repository,
but a quick look at code in the drools trunk suggests that this migration
simply changes version numbers in the repository, but does not migrate the
ruleflows:

17:27:59,931 INFO  [STDOUT] AUTO MIGRATION: Performing drools.package
migration.
17:28:00,369 INFO  [STDOUT] AUTO MIGRATION: drools.package migration
completed.

The reason I suspect it's something to do with ruleflows is that when I try
and do anything with the ruleflow assets in the Guvnor, I see the following
error:

17:30:40,634 INFO  [STDOUT] (null: 1, 59): cvc-elt.1: Cannot find the
declaratio
n of element 'org.drools.ruleflow.core.impl.RuleFlowProcessImpl'.

When I try and build a package with a ruleflow I see the following error in
the log:

        at
org.drools.compiler.ProcessBuilder.buildProcess(ProcessBuilder.java:9
9)
        at
org.drools.compiler.ProcessBuilder.addProcessFromFile(ProcessBuilder.
java:228)
        at
org.drools.compiler.PackageBuilder.addProcessFromXml(PackageBuilder.j
ava:435)
        at
org.drools.compiler.PackageBuilder.addRuleFlow(PackageBuilder.java:40
7)
        at
org.drools.guvnor.server.contenthandler.RuleFlowHandler.compile(RuleF
lowHandler.java:108)
        at
org.drools.guvnor.server.builder.ContentPackageAssembler.buildAsset(C
ontentPackageAssembler.java:167)
        at
org.drools.guvnor.server.builder.ContentPackageAssembler.buildPackage
(ContentPackageAssembler.java:154)
        at
org.drools.guvnor.server.builder.ContentPackageAssembler.<init>(Conte
ntPackageAssembler.java:103)
        at
org.drools.guvnor.server.builder.ContentPackageAssembler.<init>(Conte
ntPackageAssembler.java:116)
        at
org.drools.guvnor.server.ServiceImplementation.buildPackage(ServiceIm
plementation.java:1370)
        at
org.drools.guvnor.server.ServiceImplementation.buildPackage(ServiceIm
plementation.java:1354)

Regards
Shahad