[rules-users] Are you using Drools 5 ?

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Sat Jan 17 12:53:24 EST 2009

     Drools 5 M4 and the soon to be released M5 are stable enough for
starting projects. We don't recommend to have it in production yet, because
there are some bugs yet to fix but we don't expect any showstopper issue for
development.

     Also, starting to work with Drools 5 now will allow you to test the
product for your specific scenario and in the eventual case that you find
and report a bug, will allow us to fix it before 5.0 GA. Finally, being an
open source project, means you can actually help us fixing any problem and
make it a better tool.

     Regarding API breaks, we just introduced in version 5 the drools-api
module. The idea of the module is to define our public interfaces avoiding
future API breaks. This is one more reason to start using it now, because we
are designing it to be a minimalist API. In case you need to do something
that is a general requirement and the API does not contain methods for that
yet, there is still time to add them.

     One last comment is that we welcome anyone willing to help us,
specially with docs at this stage (but also with code if that suites you
better), in preparation for the final release. There are docs that were
already updated, but there is still a lot to do. You are not only helping
yourself and your peers, but also the whole community, and you will be
acknowledged for that.

    Cheers,
      Edson

2009/1/17 Raphael Duarte Paiva <raphaeldpaiva at gmail.com>

> Hi!
>
> I'm in the same situation as you and would like to know the same, actualy,
> with a plus: is there any preview to the release of the GA version?.
>
> In fact, I am preparing a presentation to teach Drools to my work fellows,
> with the Drools 5.0 API in mind. We're starting a project for Academic
> Management and Drools has proven to be just what we need for Business Rules.
>
> Best regards.
>

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 01:19, Cristiano Gavião <cvgaviao at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi people, I was introduced to Drools 5 some weeks ago. And I have started
>> to lear since. I got really excited and surprised with its amazing features
>> and power.
>>
>> I really want to learn some tricks on it as soon as possible and be able
>> to use it on one of my next projects....
>>
>> I didn't test 5.0M4 version too much, just some basic rules firing....
>>
>> I would like to hear from you guys that are using drools 5 about your
>> experiences...
>>
>> Its safe to start a project (development starts on 4 weeks) with drools 5
>> on this actual stage? Anyone could tell me if the GA version will have too
>> much structurally differences from this M4?  (change public classes and
>> methods or anything else that could generate reworks !!)
>>
>> Thanks for your time....
>>
>> best regards
>>
>> Cristiano

> Abraços